Dear Asia Pacific Greens,
You are invited to apply for the position of APGN Secretary!
The APGN Secretary will be a paid position responsible for building the Secretariat and managing the APGN’s operations. Conditions and criteria are described below.
Apply online at: https://www.asiapacificgreens.org/apgn-secretary-application, by deadline Friday, January 11, 2013.
This is a significant step in the APGN’s development, and you are invited to lead it!
Keli Yen, APGN Convener, on behalf of the APGN Coordination Committee
Asia Pacific Greens Network Secretary Job Description:
The Asia Pacific Greens Network (APGN) is a federation of national Green parties, social and environmental organizations from across Asia and Oceania to cultivate green policies and the realisation of the Global Greens Charter.
The Secretary’s role is to build the capacity of APGN members to embody the core Green values of ecological wisdom, social justice, participatory democracy, non-violence, respect for diversity and sustainability in both policies and practice; to achieve political change and gain political representation; to build mutually supportive partnerships that collaboratively solve the world’s problems through Green approaches; and to support the APGN Coordination Committee (APGNCC) in managing the affairs of the APGN.
As the sole employee of the APGN, the Secretary will need to build a team of volunteer leaders to realise the comprehensive development of the APGN. The Secretary will be under the direction of the APGNCC through the Convener. While the role requires political sensitivity and skill, the Secretary will not be deciding on political positions which remains the prerogative of the APGN Congresses and the APGNCC.
The appointment of a paid Secretary is a major step forward in the development of the APGN. This is an exciting opportunity to play a central role in the development of the world’s most dynamic and progressive political force!
Responsibilities of the APGN Secretary include:
1. Integrity: Assist the APGN Coordination Committee and APGN Members to ensure the integrity and implementation of the Global Greens Charter.
2. Communications: Inform and engage member parties and the general public through regular newsletters, social media, face-to-face meetings and website development. Liaise among Green groups to strengthen relationships and collaboration with APGN members.
3. Capacity Building: Facilitate the APGN to develop as a learning organization and build the capacity of members to comprehensively embody the Greens’ core values. Ensure the high quality exchange of skills and support by creating & implementing capacity-building programs for political and electoral engagement.
4. Administration:4.1. Support the APGNCC so that decisions are executed fully and meetings function smoothly.4.2. Ensure that the databases and organisational records are properly maintained.4.3. Oversee the work of volunteers and interns.4.4. Support the development of APGN Working Committees and Action Groups.4.5. Systematise APGN operations and learning.4.6. Facilitate the organisation of the next APGN Congress.
5. Finance and fundraising: Assist the Treasurer and Resource Mobilisation Committee to maintain the APGN’s accounts and implement a targeted fundraising program to support ongoing APGN work.
6. Policy and action: Support policy development, research and campaigning; implement APGN resolutions, develop a common APGN voice, a shared knowledge base and position papers on Green perspectives on what is needed to implement the Global Greens Charter in the Asia Pacific.
7. Collaboration: Liaise with related organisations such as the Asia Pacific Young Greens Network (APYGN) and the Global Greens members to develop relationships with like-minded community organizations, participate in international forums on behalf of the APGN and act as a ‘go-to’ person for APGN affairs.
8. Workplan: Priorities for the Secretary’s work will be determined periodically in conjunction with the APGN Coordination Committee.
- Good knowledge of and commitment to Greens principles and policies.
- Demonstrated political understanding and sensitivity.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, have strong organizational skills & ability to manage complex projects.
- English fluency, plus strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience working with websites particularly for content management. Familiarity with CiviCRM or similar contact management systems would be an advantage.
- Experience in building a team of volunteers.
- Experience with budgets and financial management
Salary and conditions:
The Secretary will work from an APGN member office of the APGNCC’s choosing, and the position will involve travel as required. The preferred starting date is January 2013 and will last until the conclusion of the 3rd APGN Congress is held, likely in early 2014.
The Secretary will receive AUD $1,000 per month as salary for fulfilling a work plan which would be co-designed by the Secretary, the Convener and the APGNCC.
The Secretary will be responsible to the APGN Coordination. On a day to day basis, the Secretary will be responsible to the APGN Convener.
Apply online at: https://www.asiapacificgreens.org/apgn-secretary-application,
The closing date for applications is Friday, January 11, 2013.
Inquiries may be directed to Keli Yen, the APGN Convener, at [email protected].
12/11/2012 – 17:02